Ortho Clinical Diagnostics is committed to improving and saving lives with diagnostics. To do this we hire people who share this dream and are ready for new adventures. As a valued team member, you will carve your own career path and be part of building this company stronger and better than ever before. There is no limit to the experiences, opportunities and new directions you will have access to here at Ortho Clinical Diagnostics. More importantly, you will be driving the surge of a whole new direction in important medicine. That’s something we can all take pride in as we take this journey together.
Ortho is known in the industry as a leader in customer service and support. Deeply understanding and exceeding the needs of our clinical lab, hospital and blood bank customers is what we do. It’s who we are. If you join Ortho, no matter what your role, you will be expected to keep that Customer Excellence focus in your work.
The Occupational Health Nurse will be responsible for providing occupational health nursing, medical, and integrated health and wellness services consistent with the policies, guidelines, objectives, and content of the Ortho Health Services Program.
- Provides nursing services to employees or persons who become ill or sustain an accident at work facilities.
- Relate effectively with the Raritan/Rochester Health Services staff for continuity of care; maintain satisfactory relations with other departments; participate in all education phases, maintenance of records, policies and procedures upgrading, and personnel skills.
- Provides intermediate medical care to minimize lost time and to keep employees physically and mentally able to perform job. Services are provided under the mentorship or supervision of a Health Resources Manager and direction of a designated physician (as required by law).
- Perform occupational health surveillance evaluations and tests as established on company's guidelines: coordinate tests with internal and external resources, coordinate with departments' managers and supervisors, document interventions in electronic record management system and maintain master record in order.
- Administer medications and performs various minor treatments or therapies for injured or ill employees. Administer treatment for injuries as directed by the physician.
- Provide support to Health & Wellness Programs; conduct health risk assessments, health evaluations and other services within the Ortho integrated employee Health Services strategy, including but not limited to health promotion, education and health screenings.
- Maintain accurate clinical records, utilizing approved medical, nursing and statistical formats, including computer technology.
- Advise and counsels employees within areas of core competency and integrated services and make appropriate referrals (internal and external) when indicated.
- Provide emergency management orientation/ coaching to first aid team members and coordinate First Aid Training Certification.
- Develop knowledge of the occupational hazards/exposures and treatment thereof, for the specific location.
- Assist in the process of medical leaves of absence and Worker's Compensation as required.
- Maintain high level of confidentiality and sensitivity to inquiries and access to personal medical records.
- Keep and submit health services related reports on established periodic basis.
- Serve as a point of contact and partner to client groups to implement health services & resources strategies and regulatory compliance.
- Refer work related injury/ illness cases to Worker's Compensation, as required.
- Maintain Human Resource personnel and employee supervisor informed on employees return to work process.
- Maintain communication and discuss cases with disability management vendor, as needed.
- Keep abreast of occupational hazard/ potential risk exposure at specific site to identify and implement applicable medical surveillance programs to ensure operating company regulatory compliance.
- Participates in business initiatives and projects. Actively participate of EHS meetings.
- Assist in maintaining the health facility in an orderly, clean and sanitary condition.
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing preferred or equivalent Occupational Health Nurse experience. A minimum of three (3) years of experience in occupational health, emergency room or intensive care nursing experience.
- Registered Nurse license is required. Occupational Health Nursing certification is required or in lieu of certification two (2) years of experience in occupational health.
- Training in Emergency (First Aid) is preferred. Hearing Conservation and Respiratory Spirometry certifications are required. CPR Health Care Provider Certified is required.
- Must have working knowledge of regulatory areas (e.g., ADA, OSHA, FMLA, Workers' Comp, and STD/LTD).
- Computer literacy (Microsoft Office, Words, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook) is required.
- Advance computer skills for electronic medical documentation (i.e., MEDS) are highly preferred.
- Must be willing to work in all 3 Rochester sites as needed.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
- Availability to provide on-call support after working hours is required.
- Must be available to work overtime as needed.
- Candidate must have excellent interpersonal communication and presentation skills, capable to be aware, calculate, catalog, compare, classify, coordinate, copy, detect, diagnose, edit, estimate, evaluate, influence, inspect, interpret, read, observe, plan, collect and organize.
- Ability to work under time pressure and customer services oriented is required.
- Physical requirements of this position include light work that requires physical and mental strength; it requires eye-hand coordination and moving about capacity and near acute vision.