As the company transitions, we are seeking a Manufacturing Shift Engineer for Assay Manufacturing Operations, located in Rochester, NY. You will troubleshoot and repair electrical and mechanical process systems as part of a reliability function in a high speed manufacturing and packaging environment running 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. In addition, you will work as part of a team of Operations, Engineering and Maintenance personnel and therefore must thrive in a cross-functional collaborative environment. Demonstrated experience working collaboratively with team members to complete tasks and Company goals, planning, scheduling and follow-through with one’s own work with minimal direction from supervision is required. You will also thoroughly document work activities via a Computerized Maintenance Management System, as well as completing various other computer-related tasks (time reporting, spare part retrieval, document management, on-line training). Finally, you will support a shift operation, and therefore will be required to work day and evening shifts as required. Currently, the work schedule consists of a four, twelve-hour shift rotation. It involves two day shifts followed by two night shifts. There is a four day rest period between rotations. OCD is an FDA regulated medical device manufacturing operation with high regard for safe practices and systems and therefore the Manufacturing Engineer will be required to understand and comply with all appropriate regulations.
- Acts as Management representative for off shift production and maintenance personnel and ensures escalation process is followed when issues arise.
- Technical lead for shift electrical and mechanical maintenance groups.
- Optimizes equipment performance for efficiency and capacity.
- Ultimately responsible for Implementing/expanding/managing maintenance and “Reliability” of systems and equipment to continuously reduce downtime and improve site production performance.
- Supports the implementation of new equipment and/or the modifications to existing to improve plant efficiency and performance yields.
- Applies long/short term strategies and improvement programs to close equipment consistency gaps.
- Executes preventive and predictive maintenance efforts to maximize plant uptime and reduce maintenance costs while improving reliability, quality and productivity.
- Develops and maintains effective lines of communication with the production departments to insure plant maintenance and reliability support for plant goal.
- Maintain good working relationship with all maintenance and manufacturing personnel.
- Participate In Continuous Improvement Projects and contribute to the success the lean manufacturing effort.
- This position is an active leader in supporting productivity, quality and cost reduction efforts.
- Provide plant-wide, engineered operational analysis and production support to manufacturing which will result in lowering product cost, improving labor performance, cycle times, eliminating bottlenecks and improving throughput levels.
- Develop new concepts into existing systems with particular emphasis on process repeatability, consistency, quality, controls & automation and cost reduction.
- Drive achievement of expected results for each project, while providing frequent results updates to peers and upper management.
- Thinks conceptually and intuitively from a lean prospective.
- Drives for continuous improvement.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Adhere to all company safety and site policy/regulations.
- Is available for rotating shifts, weekends, or overtime work on a scheduled or emergency basis as required.
- A B.S. degree in Engineering is required; a BSME, BSEE or BET is preferred.
- 1-5+ years in a Manufacturing engineering position performing described qualifications
- Exposure to PLC control systems, AC/DC circuits, drive systems, basic machine controls.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a cross-functional team environment with both salaried and hourly personnel to meet the needs of the operators, the program and the business.
- Demonstrated ability to develop/maintain area Reliability programs, as well as address short-term equipment operation issues.
- Ability to work in the plant reacting to problems and improvements/solutions.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Enjoys being on the floor hands on with all teams to drive performance improvements.
- Highly motivated and high initiative.
- Ability to work independently, set priorities, and drive results at the same time able to work on a production team driving team goals.
- Hands on approach with all teams to initiate and drive success.
- Highly motivated, self-starter with an ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong Leadership Skills are Essential.
- Computer skills to include: Microsoft Office, Maintenance CMMS systems.
- Assignments in various manufacturing departments will be considered an asset.
- Experience with automation controls, mechanical and process engineering considered a plus.
- Experience in an FDA regulated environment a plus.
- Experience with preventive and predictive maintenance technologies and practices.
- Experience with Lean manufacturing, Six Sigma and Shainin methodologies is a considered a plus.
- Ability to work a firehouse rotating shift schedule.