Emergency Department Research Assistant (Part-Time)
||Tuesday, May 25, 2021
||Upstate Medical University
The Department of Emergency Medicine conducts a wide range of research studies at University Hospital. We are looking for a personable, self-motivated, and organized part-time research assistant. The main duty of this role will be identifying and screening patients that visit the emergency room and determining whether they are eligible for any of the research studies our department is involved in. You will be required to speak to patients, explain the study to them, and obtain verbal and/or written consent. This position offers valuable clinical research experience in preparation for those seeking health care related careers.
- Under direction of the research coordinator, research director, and/or principal investigator, identify, screen, consent, patients in accordance with study protocols
- Administer surveys and follow-up with study participants as directed.
- Adhere to IRB approved protocols, comply with Institutional policies, SOPs guidelines, and federal, state, and sponsor policies.
- Collect/transport samples from patients as needed/indicated by the research protocol.
- Collect required data, code and enter onto clinical research forms or into computerized database.
- Coordinate and support protocol adherence during the enrollment period in the ED and on the floor as necessary.
- Maintain log of stipend checks and/or gift certificates to be distributed to study participants. Verify accuracy of distributed incentives.
- Perform data entry and manages study database as directed
- Perform other administrative and research duties as assigned
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently
- Outstanding interpersonal skills
- Ability to remain calm and professional in a stressful environment
- Fluent in use of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize a variety of tasks
- Careful attention to detail
- Ability to demonstrate professionalism and respect for subjects’ rights and individual needs
- Must be comfortable working in the Emergency Department, interacting with diverse populations, and discussing sensitive topics
- Associates Degree or equivalent with relevant experience required
- Availability to late evenings and weekend shifts required
- Experience in a healthcare setting, either clinical or research preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in a scientific or health care field preferred
View All Career Opportunities »