Tapecon at MD&M East, kicking off New York Medtech Week
Tuesday, June 14, 2016
Get to know the MedTech member companies exhibiting at MD&M East! Booth #2471
Interview with Ian Wood, National Account Representative, Tapecon
1. Please tell us about your company.
As a contract manufacturer our company acts as a trusted partner and does not own designs or intellectual property. Tapecon currently focuses on Medical/Medical Device, Electronics, Military/Aerospace, and Industrial OEM markets. Products include: single-use medical diagnostics, printed electronics, custom converted functional parts & shields, product identification, and other printed markings.
Tapecon’s services platform includes: in-house industrial & electronics engineering, commercialization services, validation services, graphic design, prototypes, and supply chain maximization. Our mix of competencies drive value for our customers.
Tapecon is ISO 9001:2008 & ISO 13485:2003, FDA Registered, cGMP Compliant and ITAR Registered. We offer a wide array of testing equipment in house. We also have access to high tech equipment on the Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus (2.5 miles from our facility). We have close relationships with the University at Buffalo and other research institutions on the campus - www.bnmc.org http://www.buffalo.edu/bioinformatics.html
We offer a vast array of mix-and-match manufacturing competencies:
- Printing: Sheet and Web Screen, Rotary Screen, Rotary Letterpress, Flexography, Multi Color Thermal Transfer (Gerber), Electrophotography (Xeikon), Wide Format Ink Jet (sheet or web)
- Ink Systems: Solvent, Water, UV, Thermal Transfer, Dry Toner, Eco-Solvent.
- Ink Types: Spot Color, 4 + 5 Color Process, Specialty/Functional, Variable Imaging (black and full color), Covert/Overt Security Features
- Coating: Adhesive, Specialty
- Embellishments: Hot Foil Stamping, Registered Holograms, Embossing/Debossing, Polyurethane Doming
- Cutting/Scoring: Steel Rule, Rotary, Semi-Rotary (flat sheet servo), Laser, Clicker, Plotter
- Laminating: Narrow and Wide Format
- Custom Equipment: Designed for custom applications (Thermal Bending, Lead Wire Attachment, etc)
2. What are the benefits of doing business in New York State?
When Tapecon opened for business in 1919, it was simply a question of home and family. Now, 5 generations later, the Davis family is committed to the city of Buffalo, and the people and communities of Western New York. Tapecon is about making a difference in people’s lives, not just to our employees, but to our customers and the end users of our medical products.
3. In your opinion, why does the medical device industry matter so much in New York State?
In my opinion, the medical device industry plays a role in everyone’s life. It is part of our everyday routine. When was the last time you stopped to think about the blood pressure equipment used at your last physical, or the in office Strep test at the pediatrician’s office. It is easy to overlook how convenient the medical device industry has made our lives.
As my wife is a stage 3 breast cancer survivor, I have had a good deal of experience with medical equipment. The funny thing is, this is the first time I have even pondered any of it. During her treatment, I was not focused on quality or brand name of the biopsy tools, imaging equipment, or IV pumps. Everything appeared seamless, and I was able to focus solely on her, and her recovery. This is what I believe really matters to people in New York State (and everywhere).
4. While displaying at MD&M East, what are you looking forward to the most?
Meeting people with ideas, and products that can improve people’s lives, and working with them to develop that idea into a product.