Sr. Research Scientist, Laser Processing
||Tuesday, June 20, 2017
||Painted Post, NY
Scope of Position:
The senior laser processing scientist will perform multi-disciplinary research in optical physics working with scientists, engineers and technicians to model and conduct experiments, and invent new processing methods to meet internal or external customer requirements.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Responsible for setting up experiments to study the interaction between short pulsed lasers and transparent materials, and working to gain an understanding of the relationship between high-power lasers and optical materials.
- Explore new laser processing techniques for fabrication of micro- or nano-structured optical components, and identify continuous improvement opportunities and implements new approaches to improve the process.
- You will deliver oral and written reports/presentations, both to project teams and to broad audiences within R&D.
Travel Requirements: Up to 10%
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: Standard hours M-F, 8-5. Flex time is supported.
Required Education, Years and Area of Experience:
- Ph.D. in Physics, Optics, Electrical Engineering or other relevant discipline with 3-6 years, MS with 8-10 years, or a BS with 15+ years of industrial experience.
- Strong background in laser material processing, and a consistent track record of publications and innovations
- Hands-on experience with high power lasers, particularly, ultra-fast lasers;
- expertise in material characterization;
- Ability to design high power laser systems for laser processing;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, and ability to learn new areas of technical expertise.
- Experience with nonlinear optics, plasma physics, and physics associated with laser processing of transparent materials;
- Familiarity with characterization techniques for analyzing processed samples, in particular transparent materials;
- Hands-on experience with modeling tools on laser processing and optical design.
Soft Skills (Communication/Team/Leadership):
- Excellent social and communication skills
- Ability to thrive in a multi-disciplinary team environment
- Embrace diversity in a cross culture global organization
- Ability to balance near term and long term priorities
View All Career Opportunities »