The Director, Commercialization & Entrepreneur Support will lead the entrepreneur support unit within the Office of Economic Development to both transition technologies into successful start-up companies and to dramatically accelerate the growth of early-stage companies. The ideal candidate will have extensive expertise and experience in entrepreneurial management with an emphasis on R&D, product development, fund raising, marketing, or general management. This position reports to the Associate Vice President, Economic Development.
The UB Office of Economic Development includes the NYS Center of Excellence in Bioinformatics & Life Sciences, NYS Center of Excellence in Materials Informatics, the Buffalo Institute for Genomics & Data Analytics and the Western New York Hot Spot.
The University at Buffalo (UB) offers incubation support and advisory services for faculty, students, and entrepreneurs who are transitioning an innovative “big idea” into a commercial entity. For qualified teams, the UB’s Office of Economic Development offers assistance through coaching and mentoring programs, incubation at UB facilities, funding, and other organized entrepreneur support initiatives and services. The goal of this unit is to enhance the commercialization of UB technologies through startup formation and to support student technology startups and other technology based startups accepted into UB entrepreneur support programs thereby enhancing their success and growth in Western New York. UB seeks a hands-on leader to mentor and develop disruptive, scalable ventures through the commercialization of university technologies and the growth of business incubator client companies.
Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline, life sciences preferred.
Ten years of experience leading, coaching, or investing in scalable, technology-driven startups. This role requires both a big picture, strategic thinker and someone to be directly involved in the work of starting and growing new businesses. The individual should be organized, self-motivated, and self-directed, with excellent human relation/communication skills.
• Demonstrated experience as an entrepreneur in one or more startup companies or senior executive in one or more high growth corporations
• Demonstrated knowledge of early stage development and funding of technology companies
• Extensive relevant work experience that can be drawn upon in advising and mentoring early stage companies
• Demonstrated ability to ramp up quickly in understanding the key attributes of technologies, products, markets and teams that lead to successful startup companies
• Experience in raising private capital
Extensive expertise and experience in entrepreneurial management with an emphasis on R&D, product development, fundraising, marketing, or general management. Track record of having simultaneously guided multiple science and technology-based ventures from idea to commercialization. Background in life sciences.
Desired Qualifications (some combination of the following):
• Existing network of contacts in the business, technology, and/or venture community in NY
• Experience making venture investments.
• Startup company CEO or Senior Management experience.
• Startup company CEO or Senior Management experience in one or more companies that successfully took an early stage company through product development to commercial sales.
• Startup company CEO or Senior Management experience in a company that has delivered a successful exit to investors (IPO or M&A).
• 5 plus years of experience in life science or a related industry including business development responsibility.
• Experience as a licensor or licensee of university technology.